Post-doctoral research fellow, Columbia University, NY, NY June 2020-June 2021
- Worked with a team of four on a long-term investigative project for ProPublica about online dating platforms and how they routinely fail to address sexual assault complaints. Additionally was part of a three-person team compiling a first-of-its-kind investigation into how climate change is fueling worker deaths related to heat for National Public Radio.
Staff Reporter, Montgomery Advertiser, Montgomery, Ala. Sept. 2017-Aug. 2019
Wrote three to five stories a week, ranging from quick-hit daily work to in-depth investigative and enterprise pieces. A story on the 1919 mass lynching in rural Arkansas was part of a package that won 2018 Best of USA Today Network prize. Selected projects:
- Reported on a top city official and his history of domestic abuse, leading to his dismissal.
- Completed a series on city discretionary funds that spurred an overhaul of spending controls.
- Investigated a city council member who gave thousands of dollars to a nonprofit run by close friends.
- Organized, pitched and ran complete coverage of the Montgomery municipal elections, where there were twelve candidates for mayor and 27 candidates for nine city council seats, while juggling other daily coverage.
Legislative Relief Reporter, Associated Press, St. Paul, Minn. Jan. 2017-May 2017
- Wrote more than 150 stories on various subjects, including healthcare, education, legislative policy and public transportation. Stories ran in various outlets, including the Washington Post, Seattle Times, USA Today and the Toronto Star.
- As the session’s end drew near, handled complete coverage for two weeks as the only reporter in the bureau. During that time, wrote three to four stories a night, often working well past midnight during late night caucuses and sessions.
Capitol Bureau Intern, Pioneer Press, St. Paul, Minn. Sept. 2016-Dec. 2016
- Created an internal log that tracked every single bill passed in the previous legislative session, along with authors and text contents. Wrote stories about the opioid epidemic, the 2016 presidential election, third-party successes and contentious liquor laws.
General Assignment Intern, West Central Tribune, Willmar, Minn. June 2016-Aug. 2016
- Tracked a tornado through the cornfields of Minnesota hours after impact to tell the story of farmers and residents affected. Produced several features about rural life and the impacts of agriculture, one of the state’s top industries.
Business Intern, Star Tribune, Minneapolis, Minn. Jan. 2016-May 2016
- Broke a long-rumored story about owners of luxury apartment buildings on the University of Minnesota’s campus that tricked students into expensive leases. Wrote profiles and Q&As about prominent CEOs and business leaders in the city.
Several positions, Minnesota Daily, Minneapolis, Minn. Jan. 2014-Dec. 2016
- Revealed that the university’s wrestling coach knew about a drug ring within the team long before he told investigators and the public. Rose from staff reporter to politics editor. Oversaw newsroom coverage of national, state and local elections in 2016.
M.S. in the Stabile investigative program, Columbia Journalism School, NY
Degree expected May 2020
- Coursework on the Manhattan court system, marginalized communities and real estate embezzlement. Master’s project: A partnership with ProPublica and Columbia Journalism Investigations examining serial sexual violence on popular online dating applications.
B.A. in journalism, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
Degree conferred Dec. 2016
- Capstone project looked at medical professionals and professors at the university taking money from pharmaceutical companies.
SKILLS & ACTIVITIES
Investigative: PACER, 990 forms, property records, local court systems, LexisNexis, FOIA, Excel, Tableau and IRE member.
Multimedia: DSLR camera, photo and video editing software, social media platforms and light graphics work.
Outside interests: Hiked “rim-to-rim-to-rim” in the Grand Canyon in six days. Earned my Eagle Scout rank.